Yes I borrowed the title from Cracked’s 10 times shorter and 100 times more honest series, but it worked for this so give me a break people.
I recently saw this video on ClutchMagazine.com and it was described as being something positive and helpful to women, so clicked it expecting to find something I could nod my head in agreement with. Unfortunately that is not what I got from this video…
Instead I would describe what I saw as 25 somewhat dated misogynistic tips on how to be a woman from a woman attempting to sell etiquette books and classes to other lost women. Not that I am putting down the women that listen to her, I want to make that clear, we all need guidance and we all have our own beliefs. If what she says works for you by all means listen to her, but if you are buying into what she is saying just because you feel lost or lonely or depressed than my suggestion to you would be to take the money you were going to shell out to her and invest it in something else. Want to be a domestic goddess? Take a cooking class, watch cooking and home renovation shows, or buy some books (or go to the library/internet). Want a better life or want to get out of a rut? Ask yourself what you really want. Suffering from a case of the mean reds?
Find your own Tiffany’s, buy something cute, get some great food, and go out on the town. And if you are still in need of a list of woman tips I have (as the title states) created a list both 10 times shorter and 100 times more intelligent, which was pretty easy to do considering like 75% of these were ridiculous hygiene tips that left me feeling the creator spent a little too much time thinking about they way other women’s lady parts smell (kinda weird people…kinda weird).
Anywho here we go, 5 Woman Tips:
1. Be Authentic
- Rather than fake smiling your way through life or pushing yourself to be positive 24/7 always seek to find true happiness within yourself and remember it’s okay if you feel like crap, you can have days where you complain and are annoyed. That’s kind of part of being a human and it’s healthy, just try not to let those days take over your life because at some point it stops being healthy. Also you reserve the right to smack any asshole who tells you to smile on a bad day (they have it coming).
2. Seek to be both a student and a teacher.
- Quiet doesn’t equate to intelligence any more than loudness does and considering as the woman who advices you to keep quiet makes her living lecturing other women I highly doubt she buys into that. Instead of learning to shut up an listen all people should seek to become both great listeners as well as great speakers. A person dominating a conversation with nothing to say is very different from a person with a lot of interesting things to say. One is giving something to those around them and the other is taking away. Do you see the distinction?
3. Take Care of Yourself
- Nope I’m not telling you how much you should bathe or how you should keep up your body, I find that both condescending and rude. We all know to be active, get enough sleep, and eat decently, but also try to keep your stress low and learn to make time for yourself and find the things that allow you to escape. Movies and TV marathons are faves of mine, but as I said earlier we all have to find our Tiffany’s.
4. Seek to build good relationships with those around you.
- It’s not about keeping some BS woman’s role or being submissive it’s about being a good person, having respect for the people you come in contact with, and creating healthy relationships. No one can or should tell you what that looks like because it is up to you to define…
which leads me to my next point…
5. CREATE YOUR OWN DAMN WOMAN HABITS!!!!!
- Don’t let someone tell you what type of woman (or person) you should be!
To quote the great Dr. Seuss
“Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.”